Have you ever wondered why your credit or debit card suddenly stops working? You check to make sure it hasn't expired, you know it isn't shut off due to fraudulent activity, so why isn't it working? The magnetic strip that allows the point of sales system to read the card could be demagnetized. Read on you learn ways to prevent this from happening.
Coming in close contact with anything magnetic can erase the information encoded on the magnetic strip. If your card is on the counter while a cashier is deactivating the security device on a new DVD, for instance, the strip can become demagnetized. The next time you are making a purchase that requires a security device to be removed, make sure your card is in a safe place.
Items with strong electromagnetic fields can also ruin credit or debit card strips. For example, cell phones & digital cameras. It's best not to place or store your card near these type of items.
Home & Other Considerations
Coming into contact with refrigerator magnets, clasps on wallets, and magnets on the back of tape measures and flashlights can demagnetize a credit or debit card. When you place your card in your wallet, but sure not to rub it up against the metal clasp and place it as far away from it as possible.
A credit or debit card can also get demagnetized if the strip gets extremely scratched. Try storing your card in a safe place, like a wallet (away from the clasp or other metal parts, of course). It's best to store your card in a soft, cushioned place away from spare change or other rough objects.
Click here to read more about preventing your card from becoming demagnetized. If your card becomes demagnetized, we're here to help! Stop by a branch, give us a call at 417-887-1983 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.